Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My new YouTube channel is up and running
Topic Started: Jun 27 2018, 10:25 PM (111 Views)
starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Hereís the announcement Iíve been working on for the last several weeks: my new YouTube channel is up and running! Iím very excited to announce the Grand Opening of Shouting From The Rooftops.

The link to the first video:
https://youtu.be/cTl-0NnhuDk

This is my effort to convey the things that inspire my sense of curiosity, fascination, awe and wonder. They are miniatures; 5 minutes or so is my aim. They will run the gamut from science to history to great books Iíve loved to just things I think people might want to know about.

Iíve made the first four videos, and have just released the first one. Well really the third one, because thereís an enormous learning curve and I didnít want to lead with my first meager effort! Iíll be releasing two a week for the first two weeks and then the goal is a new one each week if I can keep up. Please excuse the awkwardnesses and the missings-of-the-mark in these first several. Iím working hard to improve!

Two requests: please subscribe as I need 100 subscribers in order to qualify for a dedicated YouTube URL, ie something along the lines of YouTube/ShoutingFromTheRooftops. Also, may I ask you to please forward to anyone you think might be interested?

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy!
Edited by starexplorer, Jun 27 2018, 10:25 PM.
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

lynxlacelady
Member Avatar

Citizen of the Association
well done. pretty man

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Why thank you, mílady!

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
I checked back and note that at the rate you're going, you'll exceed that 100 subscriber mark, likely before the weekend's over, if you haven't already. :) I agree with one commenter; I could've used more depth on the topic. As long as the science and math are presented at a layman's or undergrad level, at about the level or a little deeper than popular science documentaries, I'm good, and when the topic's really good, I think people are willing to get into a moderate amount of detail. I think people interested in the topic of alien life would be fine with some of the discussion, as they've probably had a little introduction elsewhere. But it's also good for it to be suitable for kids or for adults just getting exposed to a topic, so they can dive in. Maybe a balance, beginner into intermediate? I don't know how you'd want to structure for more than the five to ten to fifteen minute marks, lesson design. I do get that you're not really trying to make these a formal lesson, but more of a friendly chat.

This was a good start. :)

(What, no alchemist's apparatus or orrery or such? Hahaha. -- Kidding aside, do have some fun with it and let your sense of humor in. -- I did not see any problem with that in the video; it was done well. I think I'm just fiddling.)

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
How could the loud guy in the bar not be convinced?

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Quote:

How could the loud guy in the bar not be convinced?

I know. But heís actually based on a friend of mine who for years was unwilling to be convinced. A smart guy, a highly placed editor at a major newspaper. I finally convinced him, but not before he checked with the science editor at the paper. I couldíve punched him! So to speak.

Ben, you are putting your finger on a major issue. Iím actually planning to discuss this in the fifth video.

Iíve been planning an aside. I have this so far:
ďI want to make a video about something that fascinates me. And I want it to be at least mildly entertaining. Now I like all the technical details, but Iím guessing most people watching may not. And if they do, itís easy enough to go find the information. But How do you make a short video on a complex subject, that would ordinarily, say in an academic paper or a classroom require subtle qualifications and careful distinctions? And what about the expert watching this shaking his head and saying nope? Not quite right. Didnít mention this or that consideration and that exception and this scholarly debate. Ē
I am not going to take on the role of expert. I will qualify some of my too-casual assertions in the notes. Iím guessing most people want to be entertained and intrigued but not inundated with detail. Since this is just a beginning, Iím open over time to seeing where it goes and what the audience may want and tolerate. A work in progress.

Thank you guys for your feedback. Much appreciated!
Edited by starexplorer, Jun 30 2018, 01:15 AM.

Kokipy

I've tried a bunch of times to post that i think Star's videos are terrific. I am an early and happy subscriber :)

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Thank you so much, K! There is a learning curve. I just finished making my fifth one yesterday, and itís clearly an improvement. I may be getting the hang of it!

Kokipy

As a subscriber I expect I will get a notice when each new one goes up:)

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Quote:

As a subscriber I expect I will get a notice when each new one goes up:)

You would hope, but YouTubeís notification system is notoriously bad. I put a new one up Friday night, so if you didnít get a notification, you have your answer. Some people get an email, others just get a number (like a 1) over the app itself on your phone to indicate there is a new subscribed video. Still others just see the new subscribed video on their feed when they open the app or go to YouTube. On mobile, next to the subscribe button there is sometimes a bell. Clicking the bell seems to increase the chance of getting a notification.
The most reliable method is to know that I am now on a weekly schedule, and I will be putting up a new video each weekend, although Iím not sure yet what day. I now have 3 posted videos and three complete ones in the queue.

Thanks so much for watching. I am loving making these. I feel that all the ones from #5 on are and will continue to be of better quality. Iíll let you be surprised about the topics of #ís 4 and 5, but 6 is on elephant history and seven is going to address the New Skepticism about extraterrestrial intelligence.
Edited by starexplorer, Jul 9 2018, 03:37 PM.

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
Supposedly, if you click the Notifications Bell, it brings up a dialog box asking options for how you want to be notified and of what, regarding that channel. However, I have only rarely gotten any dialog box, only a mouse click and a (slight) change in the bell icon to ON.

Star-ji, your latest video did show up on YouTube's home page for me. -- That said, other YouTubers to whom I am also Subscribed and Notifications Bell turned ON, do not always show up there. -- And lately, YouTube has been putting videos I've already watched from my Subscriptions, still on their home page as Recommendations for me, along with various topics that may or may not interest me. So it is catch as catch can.

Also, there have been YouTubers' (content creators) seeing videos demonetized or flagged/warned or blocked (taken down by YouTube), for including video or audio clips too long from copyrighted material (such as fan reviews of shows and music) or for obscure reasons (why was this demonetized, but that was not?).

Then there have been unwanted ads, such as anti-gay ads, political ads, fringe groups, various others, appearing on channels / videos where neither a creator nor a viewer of the channel would want ads of that type. (Prager "University," for example, is apparently not a university, but a group with political / religious opinions against various topics.) -- This has led to some dissatisfaction with YouTube over how content creators can choose what types of ads they do and don't want to show up for their channels.

So -- Well, YouTube is still undergoing growing pains. Some of its algorithms and services seem perpetually not quite working, while periodically, they make changes to things for reasons of their own, trying out new approaches.

That said, hey, it's YouTube or Vimeo, with not a lot of other choices for a video platform. -- And overall, as a viewer, I like several things about YouTube, and it does offer a good amount of freedom for people to create and view and comment, so, we work with what we get and hope they make improvements.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Bu'Javid · Next Topic »
Add Reply