Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My New Venture
Topic Started: Jun 9 2018, 05:33 PM (219 Views)
starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
This has been long in coming. I have had a desire to communicate the sense of awe, wonder, curiosity and fascination I feel about so many things on the planet and in the Universe. So Iíve come to a decision.

I plan to put out an ongoing series of short YouTube videos (~5 minutes each) with the theme being ďthings that fascinate meĒ. It will draw on topics Iíve pondered, some of the book reviews Iíve done of particularly interesting books, and other material Iíve collected over the years. And new discoveries. (This is an entirely noncommercial venture, obviously.) I have always been in the position of saying to the next person ďHey! Have you heard about this amazing thing?!Ē, with variable responses ;)

The goal will only secondarily be to inform. The material will not aim to educate the expert viewer. I am an interested layperson. My main goal is to communicate how fascinating the world is, and to convey my own passion for what I am curious about.

Preparations are going very well. I have acquired adequate video shooting and editing skills, and photo editing skills for making thumbnails. The content is the easy part. The whole thing is great fun. I have two videos completed, and when I finish four I will make the channel public. My aim is to put out one new video per week, I am enjoying sinking my teeth into a new creative project. The challenge is that this is so time consuming Iíll need to figure out how to not let it interfere too much with reading!

Iíll post a link when Iím ready to take the channel public. I hope people will enjoy it! A potentially odd consequence here is that the actual starexplorer face and persona will be revealed and broadcast for the first time :salad:
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
Citizen of the Association
Hurray! That's great. Wishing you much success with this, StarExplorer.

If you have not already seen them, may I suggest you watch some videos by Townsends and possibly Anton Petrov and The Oldest Nerd, as well as SciShow (and Hank Green). There are several others that offer really fine casual popular science and science fiction - related videos for the general public. I also like the casual, friendly style of Chef John on Food Wishes, though that's an aside.

Hank Green and his brother John Green are well known YouTubers who champion science and clear thinking and tackle all sorts of topics. They also are involved (backers, I think) with the SciShow channel and some others.

SciShow as well as Seeker, feature cool science and technology related videos meant for the general public, teen to adult, or perhaps smart pre-teens. Likely, you've seen them.

I've put in threads before for Anton Petrov, who is a Russian or Ukrainian immigrant graduated from a university in Canada, if I recall correctly. He does intro and fun astronomy and space science videos, and aside from a tendency to knock things together for the explosion effects, he likes to talk about exoplanets and unusual things about our own Solar System or other stars. I enjoy his videos, even if I sometimes roll my eyes a little. He has real science that I, as a layman, can understand, so I learn a little, and that sense of wonder gets a good scratching. He comes across as excited about learning and enthusiastic about his subject. (I presume he works at a university or an observatory. He may have said so; I don't recall.)

I've also had a thread about Townsends. The host, Jon Townsend, is a historical reenactor who runs a store of the same name, and who is a practical historian. The store also publishes rare historical manuscripts and period costumes and implements. He shows cooking from the Colonial era, but also gets into everyday life details of Colonial and Pioneer American living. It's one of the best YouTube channels out there for casual, friendly, popular education, a real and engaging presentation of historical topics. He covers all sorts of things. He does occasional live casts, and he has a small team of folks who work there as technical staff for the YouTube channel, right along with their other duties as craftspersons for the shop. As a good model for a top notch channel about "presenting interesting stuff," his channel is exceptional. (He's a working, practical historian and would make a great teacher.)

The Oldest Nerd - is a distinguished guy, about retirement age, who probably has a background in journalism or academia or some professional field. His early videos all have him in a shirt and tie, modeled on a news anchor's reporting style. Lately, he's become slightly more casual and dropped the tie most of the time. His style is professional and friendly and fair, presenting science fiction entertainment news and his own opinions. As an example of a style that works well and is classy, his is one to watch.

(Of course, I also like science popularizers like Dr. Carl Sagan, Dr. Michio Kaku, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Dr. Stephen Hawking, among others. These folks always present things in a way that gets people interested in science and technology and other curious subjects.)

Ah, another YouTuber with a smaller following, but whose content I like, and is varied: JD Dalton. He is gay, legally blind, albino, and Hopi, and an educator. (Yes, all that in one; and he has a partner.) -- He discusses all these topics candidly but carefully, as he's aware that people who know him and youth as well as adults watch. I was surprised when I first saw his videos; it was refreshing. You might find his example useful, or maybe not, but that he handles a variety of topics about fitting into these various communities, and does it sensibly, I think is a good example, as well as interesting.

Books, stuff that piques your curiosity, science fiction, STEM -- anything that you like -- go for it.

I'm sure you've seen the truly stupefying level of many YouTube commenters. -- However, there are also plenty of YouTube viewers and creators out there who love learning, who are filled with curiosity, and who are positive people. For someone who's been a university professor, dedicated to educating people and sharing all that wonder -- great, YouTube videos are a good way to reach the public at large, and to have some fun, and just maybe to push back against the anti-science / anti-education people out there. (Hey, you might as well, even if it's so subtle they don't know you're doing it, and they actually learn a little. ;) ) That too, is a fine thing. It's also a chance to reach intelligent kids and teens before they get to college. Nothing wrong with feeding a curious mind, getting them even more ready for college and beyond. Also a great goal. (I'm still impressed by those Mars Project kids from Space Camp, for instance.)

Yes, please let us know when you're ready to launch. I'd be happy to subscribe and ring that notification bell.

(About that, Hank Green recently has had a couple of videos about frustrations many YouTube creators have with how YouTube does things. He is, as always, smart and insightful and covers things completely and fairy; and the man can pronounce polysyllabic words without blinking. He has a brain and knows how to use it; which is quite refreshing. So his critique of things YouTube is worth listening to also. I would imagine, even more so for video creators.)

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Ah, I meant to add: -- Please do not feel you have to post videos on a tight schedule. As a viewer and fan, I understand YouTubers have (gasp) real lives, work and personal, and I would much rather that a content creator does not feel pressured to post; but rather would have the time needed to post quality content without tearing his or her hair out, and without burning him/herself out, or running out of ideas.

Weekly or twice a month is good, but find what works for you. I know from having participated on fan audio drama podcasts that a great deal of work goes into producing audio or video. So a general idea that there will be something out every few weeks is fine, IMHO.

YouTube and podcasts and blogs -- anything with audience response, are odd things. You can have fantastic content and yet people may have trouble knowing it's there, or may not respond much. Or you may grow like gangbusters beyond your wildest imaginings and you may get lots of feedback. Or any combination in between. Yes, there may be haters or idiots out there, sadly. YouTube is prone to a certain level of that. But well, that's the public for you. -- However, people who like good stuff will subscribe and comment and will spread the news. Likes and comments and subscriptions and that bell notification, do help you get more views.

Again, much success. There's plenty of room for engaging content out there. YouTube isn't perfect, yet it is a good venue for presenting varied opinions and for presenting quality videos on all sorts of cool stuff. Go for it.

(Ah, also, as someone vision-impaired, I am highly in favor of a person reading any text shown on the video, and in general, typed text, either in addition to or rather than handwritten text, is easier to read. But when used well, you can do just about anything. You may wish to invite people to help transcribe audio into text for hearing-impaired, deaf, or vision-impaired, blind folks, for accessibility options.)

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Thanks BCS. I am familiar with the Green Bros, and there is some overlap there with what I want to do, but they have a broader focus and are clearly out to be commercially successful. The Oldest Nerd does sound somewhat like me. Iím not that old, but old enough :)

I will check them all out. Most of my stuff is me talking with some pictures to help illustrate ideas. Iím attempting to keep them short, five minutes or so. And yes, thanks for subscribing as I have no idea whether Iíll get 20 or 2000 subscribers and I need 100 to get a dedicated YouTube url.

lynxlacelady
Member Avatar

I look forward to your videos.

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
Good luck to you. I for one can't wait.

Xheralt
Member Avatar

Looking forward to it!

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Thanks you all!

82Eridani
Member Avatar
Bu'Javid Master Gardener
How cool, looking forward to this!

Xheralt
Member Avatar

FYI "Xheralt" is my ID on Youtube. No videos, but feel free to check out my Favorites & likes.

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Ah, great! Will do -
Excited to see your suggestions!
Edited by starexplorer, Jun 15 2018, 01:58 AM.

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
I finished #3 tonight, so one more to go and the channel goes public. I am finding there is a steep learning curve. The latest one has decidedly more oomph than the first two. Looking forward to sharing these.

starexplorer
Member Avatar
First Contact Assassin
Admin
Xheralt! Wow - I had no idea there was a Finityís End song! Wonderful, and a lovely song - thank you
Edited by starexplorer, Jun 15 2018, 06:08 AM.

smartcat

Looks interesting. Waiting! 😊

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
I'm curious: Do you know about how much time it has taken you to complete each video? I am sure that will still vary per video, even once you're more skilled at it. I would not be surprised if it takes several hours per video, especially initially. Some may take less.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Bu'Javid · Next Topic »
Add Reply