Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What's in a Word?
Topic Started: Jun 1 2018, 02:45 PM (94 Views)
BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
Citizen of the Association
Today, I put in a question on CJC's blog. I do not know if it will get an answer, but I wondered.

Man'chi does not seem to be the right word for it, but I wondered if there is a word for the great yearning for a favorite food item, such as pizza or sauce. To call it man'chi, a yearning towards pizza, did not seem to fit right. But such a craving seems to need a word for this need, this craving.

It seems there ought to be a word for such a thing, so I asked.

I also inquired whether Spam, pineapple, or coconut are kabiu. My impression is that canned foods, being cooked and preserved, would not be seasonal and would be kabiu year-round. Likewise, I reasoned that pineapples and coconuts, being available mostly year-round in their native environments, would also be kabiu. But I said that perhaps I had missed something important and I might be mistaken.

I suspect Herself will get a snicker out of considering these issues. :rofl:
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

scenario_dave

BlueCatShip
Jun 1 2018, 02:45 PM
Today, I put in a question on CJC's blog. I do not know if it will get an answer, but I wondered.

Man'chi does not seem to be the right word for it, but I wondered if there is a word for the great yearning for a favorite food item, such as pizza or sauce. To call it man'chi, a yearning towards pizza, did not seem to fit right. But such a craving seems to need a word for this need, this craving.

It seems there ought to be a word for such a thing, so I asked.

I also inquired whether Spam, pineapple, or coconut are kabiu. My impression is that canned foods, being cooked and preserved, would not be seasonal and would be kabiu year-round. Likewise, I reasoned that pineapples and coconuts, being available mostly year-round in their native environments, would also be kabiu. But I said that perhaps I had missed something important and I might be mistaken.

I suspect Herself will get a snicker out of considering these issues. :rofl:
She did say that foods that are preserved by the nature of their preparation are kabiu. So pickles are kabiu and can be eaten all year long even if the food being pickled is seasonal. So Spam would probably be in the same category as jerky and therefore kabiu.

I don't think that Man'chi applies to food. It seems like Man'chi only applies to living creatures. So maybe a mecheita can have Man'chi to a person. But I can't see where food would have man'chi.

Blond Tekikin

The running joke Bren has with his security about salads is salient here, isn't it? As in Atevi have a translatable 'like' word that applies only to things, not people.

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
Right; I have the feeling that the salad word could apply, but doesn't quite fit the concept; and to me, man'chi is loyalty and what I think she describes as "an urge to follow" a certain leader or person. So man'chi is not what we'd call love or friendship, exactly, but an emotional instinct like it in some ways. And yes, I wouldn't think man'chi could apply to food or to things, but only to people and possibly animals and perhaps places, such as Malguri. The idea of man'chi implies to me a relationship with another living being, mostly a person, and not to a thing, an idea, and only by extension to a place (or an idea), possibly.

But one can certainly have a craving or love for a favorite food at times: "who's in the mood or Mexican food?" Or, "Wow, I haven't had Egg Drop Soup in ages!" -- That wouldn't be man'chi. It might be the salad word for liking a thing.

It seems like it would have its own word instead of either of those. The answer might be enlightening.

Blond Tekikin

I don't recall witch book, but wasn't there an incident when someone was ragging Bren that humans don't feel Manchi, and Bren settled on the phrase 'vehement preference'? Surely one can have a 'vehement preference' for food, and not have it always so vehement, but just vehement now.

Xheralt
Member Avatar

Of course, the only time atevi words are used in text are when there are no applicable human words (or the human words have connotations that would lead to incorrect conclusions). So I suspect there is such a word, and that it would reasonably be rendered as "craving" by the paidhi-aiji for our benefit.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Cherryh Grove · Next Topic »
Add Reply