Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Emergence Of Emergence; It's a spoiler emergency!
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 04:19 AM (2,037 Views)
Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Citizen of the Association
It emerges soon.
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

jlsjlsjls

Got mine!!! Ebook edition notice from Kobo appeared in my inbox at 11:24 p.m. (MST) last night and had an email this morning from my right hand at work that my paper copy was in; I'm on staycation this week and next but work is only a five minute walk + five minute bus ride from home so I had planned to nip in just to grab it once I got the word. I'd rather read the paper copy than the ebook ... it somehow feels more satisfying (the ebook copies are for travel and for being able to easily hunt down obscure bits of plot)

I'm partway through re-reading "Convergence" to refresh my memory on all the bits and pieces, then it's straight on into "Emergence"!

lynxlacelady
Member Avatar

I'm watching my mail. eager eager eager

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
OMG a secret anime fan club for atevi machimi.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Cajeiri has a moment to bond with his sister/understand the overall implications of what it means to have a baby sister in his position.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Done! I loved it, it finally had some juicier detail on how Mospheiran society has been affected by reaching technological parity, as well as an inkling (surely to be cashed out later in the next book) of how atevi feel having seen human society close-up. And Narani and Sandra are going to trade recipes! :)

On the atevi side, a major resolution of the Ajuri situation, in Bren and Ilisidi's near-total absence. Unfortunately, if you're a grandmother fan, Ilisidi never comes onstage in this book, but instead has been put in place at Najida for the next installment. But actually, aside from the actual landing of the bulk of the Reunioners (the kids have been finally brought to Mospheira, at the end), we don't know what the crisis is going to be in the next book -- but my guess is that it will involve collusion between Mospheiran crazies and atevi vested interests.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
I particularly loved this:

Quote:

He wanted copies of those subtitled plays. Wanted to know how accurate they were, whether interpretation went off the rails on any points.
Wanted to know something about those fifty-three club members—just to be sure he understood what influences might go back and forth.
And he was just—professionally—curious.
“They are quite in awe of you,” Jago said. “You say humans do not feel man’chi. But it did seem so.”
“Many things look more impressive when one is young.”
“Ah,” Jago said, sounding entirely unconvinced. “Is that what it is?”

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Does it live up to it's cover art? :D

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
The cover art does in fact reflect a scene from the book -- the scene I think that will most likely set the stage for the next book.

However, despite the fact that I enjoyed the Mospheira bits much more than I did in Convergence (where the human/atevi interface aspects were less emphasized), it is still the case that Mospheira is Space Wisconsin. However, interestingly, it's also somewhat (unsurprisingly?) more authoritarian than I expected it to be.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Oh, and (remember this is the spoiler thread) we get a surprisingly direct account of an assassination, which we rarely ever see in the series. Geidaro, the Ajuri pretender, is violently slaughtered while on the phone begging for her life from Tatiseigi, who in the meantime hasn't actually yet sent his own assassins, meaning that someone else sent them...

Kokipy

mine showed up today! i was not expecting this. I can't read it right now so will avoid all spoilers. but what a nice way to start off the new year.

jlsjlsjls

Just finished!!!

In the next volume: The aishid finds it necessary to stage a human food intervention for Tano.

(it was wonderful!)

pence

Devoured it yesterday. Totally lost the day and a chunk of the evening! Cajieri is growing up. i liked the mellowing/maturing of his relationship with his uncle. And he is coming to (very early) appreciation of the potential mortality of the adults in his life.

lynxlacelady
Member Avatar

I want my book. I want my book.
Space Wisconsin. Wisconsin is such a wholesome place, in my thinking. Being only their neighbor I may have mistaken perceptions. But if you call Mospheira space Wisconsin with Springfield Illinois plunked down in the middle of it, well, that fits. Basic wholesome population with centers of virulent and nasty, poisonous politics.

All these teaser reports are just making me more eager for my copy.

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
I am bouncing in anticipation. It's taking too long to get here. :knife:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Cherryh Grove · Next Topic »
Add Reply