Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Space Station-minecraft Style
Topic Started: Sep 24 2017, 06:20 AM (206 Views)
Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Citizen of the Association
So... Since I don't have any fancy graphics programs or anything to design my own space station, I'm using what I have- Minecraft, lol. Though a MUCH more simplistic "design" medium, I think I can make it work as I get better at graphing the designs.

It does have its limits, but I literally just saw a gigantic spaceship somebody designed (it took them 3 YEARS) and it was amazing, so I figured I would learn how to do that myself.

The problem I've found is getting the scale correct in-game, so I'm starting with what is probably a very small station design. I've got the first section of core and the spokes of the "wheel", but have not started designing the habitat ring yet. I'm still trying to decide how long to make the "spokes".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
It's an interesting start. let us know how it progresses.

selden
Member Avatar
TaCom Astronomical Division Commander
I'm always fascinated by people being able to persuade software to do things that its authors obviously never thought of.

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Posted Image

I added "airlocks", and another section to the spokes. The passages ways in the spokes fit one person and allow transit up, down and out from the core section. I'm trying to decide if that's what I want, but for now, it's good enough. I'm going to be finding a page of graph paper, as I need to work out how to design a spherical shape (the ring) out of cubes.

selden
Member Avatar
TaCom Astronomical Division Commander
Here's a guide to constructing circles and spheres. Might it help?
http://www.dummies.com/programming/program...s-in-minecraft/

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Ah, thank you! That should be very helpful. :smile2

:t

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Damn. There's a flaw in my design. I failed to take into account the orientation of the decks in the habitat ring.

Then again, as I cannot alter the gravity in Minecraft, or set the station to spinning, or myriads of other things that a space station should have or take into account, it matters little anyway.

lynxlacelady
Member Avatar

It might be easier to construct if you used hexagons instead of cubes. Hexagons can sort themselves into a ring. Lace makers love hexagons. But they are usually working on 2 dimensional objects.

It's fun to watch your idea grow.

Xheralt
Member Avatar

lynxlacelady,Oct 4 2017
04:37 PM
It might be easier to construct if you used hexagons instead of cubes. Hexagons can sort themselves into a ring. Lace makers love hexagons. But they are usually working on 2 dimensional objects.

It's fun to watch your idea grow.

Minecraft is a fairly old game, and it deliberately mimics the styling of even older (8-bit) games. Everything is squares/cubes in the game, up to and including the Sun itself, with oh, say, 16-bit era texturing. There ARE no other shapes to use! The trick, therefore, is how to align the square building blocks you are given to achieve the best approximation possible of other shapes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Bu'Javid · Next Topic »
Add Reply