Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Convergence Discussion
Topic Started: Apr 5 2017, 01:25 AM (1,715 Views)
Kokipy

Citizen of the Association
To start this discussion:
I think that the choice of the Cajieri POV is really amazing. She made that choice years and books ago and it is still serving her well. He has so much to say, as he grows up, that is a meaningful counterpoint to Bren. How did she know? But that is stupid. She wrote the damn books that led to his POV being meaningful.
Gosh.
What do you all think.?
(Ps, I just started the book.)
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

BeulahBelle
Icewine and Opals
There is much more of Cajeiri's POV in this book and he is definitely growing up. I love how his relationships all around are maturing - with his aishid, Tatiseigi, his parents, Bren. It makes me wonder if perhaps Emergence might explore Cajeiri's emergence - into adult-hood and aiji-hood ... ?

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
I had my copy delivered to the High School I teach at, but I went home yesterday to pass a kidney stone and missed out on the delivery til this morning. I am feeling doubly happy today! I'll join in on the discussion -- later.

Aja Jin
Member Avatar
number one good, A ?
I read it (hastily) yesterday and enjoyed it. It didn't feel like the end of a trilogy, more like a first volume, or possibly a bridge to the next story arc (perhaps reflected in the new naming for the books). Cajeiri growing up and growing into his Atevi feelings, illustrated by his relationship with Boji, is nicely done.

This would seem to offer a great opportunity for a reminder of the difficulty/dangers of Atevi/human communication. Bren seems to have jumped over the gap successfully, but one of the constant themes of the whole series is the inherent difficulty and pitfalls as associations become closer. This is an area that should be re-visited IMO.

As usual, one is frustrated with another year-long wait for the next installment.

:baji

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
First impressions: I loved the fact that we've returned to Mospheira and seen, finally, a little bit of it, even if Bren is kept away from daily life and the public perception of atevi. It does, however, confirm my old impression that Mospheira is Space Wisconsin on an island with mostly anglo names like "Woodenhouse". I mean, floral print curtains? It's literally That 70s Show. In space! But great that we've broken the ice there. I have a feeling that Woodenhouse's rant and absence from the committee meeting are portentious.

joekc6nlx
Member Avatar
kendo bain sidhe
From the time I ordered it, Amazon said it would ship April 4. Well, it's now April 5 and it still hasn't shipped.

agricola
Member Avatar

Damn it! It ENDED!! I want more!

OTOH, I learned a great deal of interesting stuff about mechieta. Mechieti?

This is pretty absorbing, and my patience for testimonies before political committees is remarkably low. Wilson is kind of scary. When did he throw a glass at Bren?

I like the new (old) Guild who joined the party.

What is going to happen to Boji?

WONDERFUL look at Great Uncle - I am TRULY enjoying him immensely.

OK when's the next book available....I'm guessing NEXT year, right? Sigh.

I think Toby and Bren are twins. Are they twins?

Kokipy

I am not done yet but one thing I have noticed and liked is the magical thinking Cajieri engages in. It reminded me of Tristan, but the point that is being made is more profound, that if people visualize a different and better future maybe they can make it happen.

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
I haven't got the book yet, but I would LOVE for Bren and Toby to be twins. XD Headcanon accepted! :baji

Kroyd
Member Avatar

Not. A. Single. Shot. Fired.

Kokipy

Probably because the heir apparent put his foot down at a key moment.:)

bmills
Member Avatar
Ordinary Household Retainer-- *or is he?*
As I was leaving for work I found a notice saying they had attempted to deliver it. Which is odd because I was home at the time and didn't hear anyone knock. :mad: Now I have to wait until my next day off and go to the post office for it.

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
I am convinced that at times, the postal carrier / UPS driver takes great joy in tiptoeing up to the door, leaving a note, and (very optionally) maybe ringing the doorbell, but usually not. Yes, I've had notes left when I was most definitely at home and listening, hoping for something's arrival. at my now-former house.

At the apt now, it seems the US postal worker typically just leaves any package too big to fit in the little apt p.o. boxes, at the apt. mgmt. ofc., rarely if ever do they knock. UPS are somewhat better about it though.

...And I have one item, likely a big rocking chair back and seat cushion, waiting for me to visit the post office, it seems.

I want my books out of storage! But I'm going to have to buy at least one cheap / used bookcase, no doubt. (And have a new temporary shelf cut for my existing bookcase, whose shelf is lurking elsewhere in the storage space. Ooh, treasure hunt, sort of.)

-- I'm barely into my reading, but I'm loving this one as much as Visitor. -- However, when Alliance Rising is published, I may have a very loud squee indeed.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Bren and Toby are not twins, Toby is the younger brother by (I think) a couple of years margin, shortly followed by the divorce of their parents.

I did like the alternative perspective on Tatiseigi, ie, that his rather disagreeable nature was for a reason that wasn't of immediate interest to Bren, but at heart Tatiseigi is an "Ilisidist" -- a selective preserver of tradition, based on whether the tendency has a protective function or a retrogressive one.

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
The other thing that we keep seeing is how much atevi view minor children, including human children, as exempt from certain kinds of adult conflict (from which human children are not exempt) and included in certain kinds of conflict (from which human children *are* exempt).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Cherryh Grove · Next Topic »
Add Reply