Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
This Thread Spoils Peacemaker; you know you want to click it
Topic Started: Apr 1 2014, 01:07 PM (3,587 Views)
Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Citizen of the Association
It was awesome. I am worried about the unresolved headache.
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

Busifer

LOL.

To me this is the best Foreigner book in a looong while. After reading it I felt that this could well had been the book finishing off the series.

I was a bit worried when they were going to take on the Assassins' Guild headquarters, though. Bren trying to set everything up in case of his demise tried my nerves.

And I enjoyed it when Bren tell Damiri about what has really been going on and she responds with "finally someone makes sense".

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Damiri was a great character in this one.

But seriously, it feels like the headache is heading up to an aneurysm or serious concussion despite the eye following finger test that Jago did.

I did enjoy how Ilisidi had her eye on the Maudit situation, and almost as an afterthought hinted that she was taking care of it.

Busifer

What did the rest of you think of Geigi's History if the Aishidi'tat, with Bren's comments?

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
I thought it was a way of establishing a "baseline" for whatever comes up next. On the one hand, it seems like CJC is looking to bring about some kind of closure, but on the other hand, it feels like she's planning some kind of expansion. At the same time.

magicdomino

Cajeiri finally got his birthday party with his human associates. He even got a real birthday :cake . Granted, the boy probably would have enjoyed it more without a long, stressful, formal day, but when you are at the highest levels of atevi society, you take your fun when you can get it.

Like Busifer, I found the attack on the Assasins Guide harrowing. I knew Bren would survive, and probably his aishid because :cherryh: is writing the next book (Hm, does that one have a title yet?). But, dang, that was a close call for Banichi!

I was surprised by Bren nominating Toby as his unofficial successor. Toby has a lot of potential that had been smothered by catering to their mother's wishes. But he doesn't have the experience nor the knowledge of atevi culture needed for a full-time diplomat. Maybe this episode will make Bren think seriously about getting an apprentice.

Busifer

Eupathic Impulse - Yes, that's my impression too - either time to close the shop or making a mid-story stop to remind everyone what's where and how.

Personally I would not feel cheated if this was it, so to speak. I do enjoy the Foreigner books immensely but I also would like for her to write something in the Compact space, or some A/U stories.
Or something completely new, for that matter.

Busifer

Quote:

Maybe this episode will make Bren think seriously about getting an apprentice.

Who knows? Like you I don't think Toby is up to it, at all. On the other hand - who is? Apprenticing definitely seems like a good idea.

magicdomino

Busifer,Apr 2 2014
09:09 AM
What did the rest of you think of Geigi's History if the Aishidi'tat, with Bren's comments?

I skipped forward to read Greigi's account as soon as I realized it was there. It was very interesting to read the atevi point of view regarding the Foreign Star and humans. It sounds like the situation didn't really start deteriorating until the last few humans landed, angry and armed. The early arrivals were probably enthusiastic enough to at least try to work with atevi customs; the last were too resentful to bother.

Of course, I'm sure the Edi and Gan were increasingly unhappy about the situation simply because the humans kept coming and coming and coming. It's one thing to tolerate a small group. It's quite another to find out that thousands of their closest associates are posed to move in as well.

Busifer

What stood out to me was how the return of the Phoenix triggered a lot of things - not even Bren mentions it in his "comments" to Geigi's telling; interesting to note that Geigi states that Ilisidi wanted to talk to the new paidhi, inviting him to Malguri. Not what Bren felt was happening, at the time, but he has left Geigi's account as it is...

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
I think Irene is being groomed for something bigger.

magicdomino

After Protector, I would have said that Gene was most likely to become Cajeiri's paidhi, unofficially at least. Gene seemed more accepting of atevi culture. Also, his relatively indifferent mother might be willing to let him stay, perhaps as that apprentice paidhi that I mentioned. But Irene is the one making the effort to talk to the scary grown-ups.

Speaking of scary grown-ups, I suspect Damiri singled out Irene simply because she was thinking of her own soon-to-be-born daughter. Of course, there was that pointed comment to the effect that someone's mother was consulted about her child. :atwink

Eupathic Impulse
Member Avatar
Senior Bujavid Security
Busifer,Apr 2 2014
02:30 PM
Eupathic Impulse - Yes, that's my impression too - either time to close the shop or making a mid-story stop to remind everyone what's where and how.

Personally I would not feel cheated if this was it, so to speak. I do enjoy the Foreigner books immensely but I also would like for her to write something in the Compact space, or some A/U stories.
Or something completely new, for that matter.

I think there are at least three books left in the series, because at the minimum the story cannot end without a visit from the kyo, even if we'd like Cherryh to do something different. I'm not hoping for the end too soon more or less because there's ground I wish she'd cover but has not, and doesn't look like she ever will.

The thing is, until fully-online publishing is a viable way for CJC to make a living, I don't think any Compact books are in the cards. And the last time she wrote a new universe (Hammerfall), it flopped in sales, even though personally I would be happy to see a sequel, as I loved Procyon Stafford and his weird family.

griffinmoon
Member Avatar
Ranger
Regarding the idea of Toby being the next paidhi. We have suspected that his spying activities are real. This might also have put him in contact with the smugglers and their organizations for a number of years. Not high court society, but a streetwise cultural contact that might be as valuable an aspect as the single sided one Bren has worked with so long.

BlueCatShip
Member Avatar
Unlabelled Browncoat Scaper
We know CJC is writing the next book, thus the first of a new trilogy. So I would say we have at least those three more in the Foreigner series. No knowing if there are more after that; Herself hasn't said.

I too would like (love) to see more in Compact space and in the Alliance-Union space. Or, for that matter, something brand new.

I suppose that boils down to, heck, I'd just like to see more of any books from her. :D I know they'd be good, whatever story she tackles.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Cherryh Grove · Next Topic »
Add Reply