Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Shejidan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Burnished Needle; a guild for needle-workers?
Topic Started: May 10 2008, 06:21 AM (11,329 Views)
Aelith
Member Avatar
Veteran of the Messenger's Guild
Citizen of the Association
Leela-ji's recent request uncovered some knowledgeable needle-workers out there. I thought we might like to share on this topic.

I'm a highly visual oriented person and for many years my artistic outlet was working through the various forms of needle craft. Stamped embroidery, cruel kits, needlepoint and canvas painting, crochet each had their turn during the early years. Joining the SCA refocus my attention on to the history of needle arts and a few experiments were attempted. Gold work is not really satisfactory when you cannot afford the real thing. Blackwork and one color cross stitch are fun in small doses but I don't have the patience for table/alter clothes and full linen skirts and bodices. In '91 or '92 I started again with counted thread embroideries, this time starting with modern picture kits. I had 10 good years of constant learning and experimenting and gift making.

Unfortunately an illness interrupted all this and I haven't been able to return to it.
Still, there is love and knowledge to share.

Welcome to my parlor.
Offline Profile Quote this post Go to Top

Vetch
Member Avatar
Mahen Anthropologist

(I am not sure if I am allowed in here, I'm just looking. I don't work with da needle myself. But I had to come, because I was waiting for a place like this to pop up in Shejidan, and I very much hope you gifted people will not only share experiences and stories but post pictures of your craft! :flower:)

Blond Tekikin

I've been doing needlework for decades. Right now what I have mounted on a hoop and the threads laid out for are:

1) A hardanger lace christmas stocking trim. (The cutwork is about 1/3 done)

2) A crosstich teatowel with berries on it. (Almost done- just the fidgety stuff that just needs half a dozen stitches of a colour or so, and the backstich.)

3) A 16" x 16" cushion. The pattern is of apples on thier branches, several varieties, closeup to the fruit. Over 3/4 done.

pence

Works in progress (or procrastination): The dracolair Night Hunting dragon. A larbe sampler that I'm trying to modify with a name and birth date-charting the letters is a pain, ChatelainesConvent Herb Garden and a little set of turtles that are a needlecase, pincushion scissor pocket/fob collection.
I've just finished the chatelaine anniversary project Elizabethan Swete Bag.

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
I don't do any needle work myself, but as an Art minor, I share an interest in creative things with the Mrs who is a major needleworker from way back.

I show her the interesting designs I see and have designed a few for her to stitch. She'll be interested in seeing what you lot come up with.

Aelith
Member Avatar
I don't know any embroiders who are not wholehearted show-offs. We would love to see her work as well.

And of course all are welcome to share in the joy of creativity weather as a practitioner or audience.

I have Paint Shop Pro so I can compress and resize images for display if you want to email them to me. See my profile. I also have a photobucket account. Is there a regular gallery my associates post to? Humm, I'll have to dig out my camera so it may be a little while before I show-off my old work.

I eyed châtelaine kits for years but could never decide on one for me. You rock pence-ji.

Leela-ji
Member Avatar

Nadiin, I have scanned the cross-stitch chart for the :baji and I have it waiting in my hard-drive. If you want a copy just send me an e-mail (you can find it in my profile) and I'll reply with the jpg file (it's too big to post here). Thanks! :atwink

And several hours later... and how in hell did this post end up here? I had started a new thread about the chart thing as -not- to interrupt the thread going on here...

Sherbs
Member Avatar
Frozen Fruit Confection
I used to do a lot of embroidery and costume making for a variety of hobbies but haven't done much since I had my daughter nearly 3 years ago. I'd be really interested in seeing what other people have done.

Neco the Nightwraith
Member Avatar
Living the Right Life
Hm, I've played a little bit with knitting (never went far, i couldn't figure out what they were describing in the books to make anything but large flat blankets), sewing (ragdolls, various attempts at doll clothing, random mending), finger weaving (no needles involved) and a little bit of crochet (which I think I might understand faster than knitting, if I had someone there to show me the works several times over).

I would love to get back into this hobby, it was really popular for me in high school, and I have since strayed away from it. I even have needles and a crochet hook, and a vast amount of yarn.

Does anyone here do latch hook? I dearly enjoy that craft, and I've just finished my first piece, a ladybird beetle on a green field. :grin (Granted it was a kit that someone gave me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless).

Aelith
Member Avatar
A long time ago. Hay, the :baji pattern would make a supper rug. as well as a needlepoint bar stool top.

griffinmoon
Member Avatar
Ranger
I'm a needle-wielder from way back. Simple embroidery, patch making (lots of long/short stitches in assorted colors), some Assizzi(sp?) work (a complete feast gear table cloth & napkins for a SCAdian friend), weaving on a small scale to date, needle lace, bobbin lace, punto del aria (I think I spelled that wrong too), garb making/costumery (big-time), spinning, natural dying, quilting, knitting, crochet, netting, fillet work, drawn thread/cut work, (no patience for smocking!), nalbinding...pretty much anything textile oriented. Swotted up on a lot of textile history in the course of the SCAdian knowledge hunt. Checked out vertical frame looms, warp-weighted looms, tape weaving, card weaving, braids in various forms, yahda-yahda-yahda. Even taken to tanning deerhide--the Old Fashion way (most folks don't want to know about that!). Known to make shoes/boots/moccasins/etc (simple footwear, not current commercial stuff).
Waaayyyy too many projects on hand & in mind to ever accomplish in my lifetime. Closest I've gotten is sending Ska8er nandi & Barleysmama nadi some drawn thread pincushions!
Got quite a selection of textile books on all this stuff too! (Could probably give direction on where to hunt down some info for your project).

Aelith
Member Avatar
Ok, Leela's file has been colored and posted to my photobucket account.

[url=[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/msaelith/BNchart29.gif[/IMG]][/URL]

Please note the coloring is only for placement suggestion not hue. I understand that the yellow orbs are optional. The two within the design are my suggested placement not Leela-ji. Right and left slash marks suggest half cross locations.
You can correct the corpping at the top (hers) by copying the last two rows on the bottom.

have fun.

Leela-ji
Member Avatar

LOL Aelith-ji, so -this- is what you've been doing here! I had no idea you planned to go the extra mile and post a colored and marked chart at photobucket but it's saved me a whole lot of work! So there, a little dancing for ya :bunny7:

Aelith
Member Avatar
Thank you had fun doing it.

hrhspence
Member Avatar
Hani Assassin
Admin
The Mrs liked the pattern, but as she is not a Cherryh reader (I know! blasphemy!) she said "What is that? What's a Bah-ji Nah-ji?"

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Bu'Javid · Next Topic »
Add Reply